Wednesday, February 29, 2012

4 Years Long, 4 Years Strong

**This was supposed to be posted yesterday when I started writing it, but as you'll read later I've been terribly sick, so pretty please let it slide ;) & if this post is completely scattered, it's probably because I'm having trouble concentrating!**

A lot of people don't know this, but today is Anthony's & my 4-year anniversary.  (Even though he kissed me 10 days earlier on President's day...some people frown on that but hey, we're getting married so who cares!)  That means by the time we get married, we will have been together for almost 4 & a half & will have known each other for closer to 5 years.  That's a long time!  We have known for forever that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, but looking back I am glad that we waited so long.  Besides the obvious challenges of marriage, I think we have really matured & our bond has grown stronger over the last few years.  It's crazy to see just how much our relationship has changed for the better.

If you've known us for this long, you've probably been able to see the highlights to know what I'm talking about, but just to take a stroll down memory lane here is a glimpse into how the many years that we've spent together.


Our first picture together (March '08)
...please ignore my bangs. So glad I grew them out!


My 17th birthday (March '08)


His senior & my junior prom (April '08)
Notice the wedding pose under the "altar"...I think even then we knew :)


My senior homecoming (October '08)


Anthony's 19th birthday (January '09)


First anniversary (February '09)


My 18th birthday (March '09)


My senior prom (May '09)


Anthony's 20th birthday (January '10)


Second anniversary (February '10)


My 19th birthday (March '10)


Third anniversary (February '11)


My 20th birthday (March '11)


The day we got engaged (May '11)


The last picture we took together (February '12)

We have had so many more pictures (thousands, probably) & celebrated so many of life's milestones together (birthdays, Christmases, graduations, first jobs, dances, etc.), but I chose the ones from anniversaries & birthdays because it's really easy to remember the dates :) we didn't take any pictures on Anthony's 21st & now I can't remember why for the life of me.  I even remember what I was wearing!  Ha.  & we celebrated his 22nd quietly just the two of us, so that explains the lack of pictures there too.

There will also be no pictures from our fourth anniversary because I spent it sick & laying in bed feeling like dying.  (Sometimes I think that I am going into the wrong profession.)  Instead, I just put the last picture that we've been in together...& it even has to do with wedding things!

Anyway, you can't really see how far we've come just in pictures, but we truly have.  I don't know many high-school couples who can make it through moving to college, friends coming & going, trying to blend into each other's family, changing jobs, a ton of sickness thanks to my crappy immune system, & honestly just life in general.  It gets tough & we'll be the first people to tell you that.  Sometimes I don't know if we would've made it if it hadn't been for the amazing people we have supporting us in this.  All family aside because obviously they have been important, I have been so thankful for the people older than us at our church who have walked our path already & who have offered us guidance & counsel & fully supported us along the way.  These are the people who have invested tons of time in us, & are the kind of married couples that I want to be like when we get a little further down the line.  When I think of all of them, this is the Bible passage that comes to mind:

"2 Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.
 3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
 6 Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. 7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness 8 and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us."
Titus 2:2-8


Clint & Mandie Sledge 
For quickly becoming two of our closest & best friends & for always being there for us to come to.  For finally convincing us to come to Mike Fortner's Sunday school class.  You are an awesome example & anyone would be lucky to call you their friend.  Not to mention for letting us love on your precious Carson! :)

Jay & Dawn Mooney
For being our teachers for the past 4-ish years, for opening your home to us, for always making sure we're included, for believing in us from the beginning.  Jay for coaching softball & having Anthony as part of the team...& Dawn for sitting in the stands in miserably hot (or cold) weather with me.  Also for trusting us with your kids & allowing us to develop a special bond with Joshua & Alyssa.  This summer, I'll also be saying "thank you" for spending your time doing our marriage counseling & performing our ceremony.  We wouldn't rather have anyone else up there!

Mike & Abby Estes
For all of the listening & advice-giving that you have done lately, for being completely honest about the trials of marriage, for being genuinely interested in our lives, & for giving us a new perspective on so many things.  Plus for spending the time teaching me how to knit because I am already making things for our future home! (dish cloths, dish scrubby, pot holders, etc...)

Mike & Lyndsey Ewing
For always letting us come over to hang out at your house & showing us what kind of place we want our home to be...an open door where our friends are always welcome.  & also just for Lyndsey for letting me vent all the time, giving me her wedding book, & always offering to help whenever she can :)

When you look up there, notice that all of these couples have been married roughly 5, 15, or 25 years...I just thought that was cool!

There are so many more that I could say!!! Kim, Laura, Vickie, Debbie, Scotty.....just so many others!  I could go on about everyone but it's about 7:23 at this moment & if I don't start getting ready in 7 minutes I'll be late for class :(

For all of the women that I mentioned, I just wanted to especially thank you for the godly counsel that you have been to me.  I love you all.  You are wonderful examples & I am thankful for the blessing that you all have been in my life!

One last thought: we became a couple on the last leap-year, & we'll be getting married on this one!  Maybe all of our milestones will happen every 4 years on leap-year?!







No comments:

Post a Comment