Monday, November 28, 2011

A Few "Married" Moments

With all of the frustrations that come with planning a wedding and getting married in general, especially as of late, it has been really nice to get a glimpse into what married life might actually be like.  Or at least have some moments where you suddenly realize wow, things are really moving along and we're so close to having a life together.  It has seemed to me like the past few weeks (especially with the holidays coming about) have been filled with more of those precious moments than usual.

OUR FIRST PIECES OF FURNITURE


(Sorry for the terrible picture quality, this one was at night outside & the others are all from my phone).
The weekend before Thanksgiving, Anthony & I went to my dad's house in Savannah to celebrate and to pick up some furniture that he no longer wanted/was giving us for our future home.  One of the few things that Anthony has requested in whatever house we get is some sort of "man cave," which really isn't a problem for me since we'll probably have the extra space for that or at least an office of some sort for him.  Okay, let's be honest: it will probably be a room with nothing but football & video games (& possibly a desk/computer in there somewhere) but that's fine with me. 

We (Anthony) hauled down a trailer to Savannah late Friday night after his last softball game; we didn't arrive until after midnight & by that time we were both exhausted.  After getting our things unloaded & beds set up (the pull-out couch you see me sitting on for him & an air mattress for me...kind of a lot of work that late at night!), I was ready to pass out.  Unfortunately for me, a former friend of Anthony's was having a party at his house & convinced someone we didn't even know to drunk-dial us.  He called me first & cussed me out, then when he got tired of that (after I threatened to call the police...), he moved onto Anthony's phone.  It seems like a lot of individuals from the past have been coming back to haunt us lately as if they have nothing better to do with their lives...pathetic.  While this wasn't my favorite moment of the weekend, Anthony taking the phone & "defending my honor" showed me just how protective of me he is.  I think a lot of wives would agree with me that one of the things that makes their husbands the most furious is when someone messes with the wife or hurts her.  Definitely the case here!

Anyway, my dad & I cooked all day Saturday while Anthony & my brother watched football, & we had a nice family dinner.  As we were going around the table telling what we were thankful for, I had to say how incredibly generous my family is.  I know a lot of families are unable to help out their children in certain ways, but Anthony & I have certainly been so blessed by my family in this time in our lives Besides some bigger (and probably most important) things like my grandparents wanting to help us have a home to live in & my mom allowing me to take a lot of the furniture from my room/our house & helping us out in general, just in the past few weeks I have felt like the most fortunate person in the world.  Since my dad moved into his house in Savannah full-time, he said that once our family friends move out of his Atlanta house as renters in May, he won't want to leave the furniture there & won't have a place to put it, he'll be giving it to us.  That means that we will have to buy very little furniture-wise, which any newlyweds know how helpful that is!  Anyway, my cousin Adam was so quick to let us borrow his work trailer to pick up the furniture & we were really grateful for that.  Then, Anthony's brother Mitchell drove all the way out to my grandparents' house (where they're letting us store things) just to help us unload the couches.  When we were putting some other things away at my house, we were looking around at all of the dishes, electronics, etc. that we have already been given & there's just so much!  Like I said, most generous people in the world. I'm one lucky girl & I know it :)

Oh, & since I already told my least-favorite part of the trip...one of the most heart-warming moments: my dad talking about needing to get Anthony his own Christmas stocking!

We had to miss Anthony's mom's family Thanksgiving the Sunday before, but we made up for lost time by having a big dinner with just his immediate family on Wednesday (followed by me & Anthony dominating in Phase 10...the funnest card game ever...after dinner, despite the fact that he totally tricked me into letting him win!).  Then, we went over to my grandparents' house for lunch on Thursday & that's when things started to go downhill.  A lot of people already know this, but I can't eat certain foods (hot dogs, pepperoni, etc...I think from now on I should stay away from pork in general) without getting terrible migraines.  I guess you could call that an allergy Anyway, before we even left to go home I was already in tears because my head hurt so bad.  Anthony stopped at the store to get me some Tylenol since I was out, but even that didn't help Normally when this happens, it's right before I go to bed so I don't have to deal with a lot of the headache.  That wasn't the case that day, so Anthony sat with me & let me lay on his lap while I tried to sleep the headache off.  No such luck :( so he let me whine, complain, cry etc. for the rest of the day/night & just took care of me.  By the time 8:00 came around, I was completely miserable & he had to go.  I asked my mom to come sit with me in my room when he left & all I wanted was for him to come back.  She asked me if I wanted her to call or text him to make him, but him & Mitchell were busy Black Friday shopping for................

OUR FIRST BIG PURCHASE


Yes, it is a little extravagant.  Not to mention huge & extremely heavy.  But we figured that when we have a home, we want it to be the kind of place that people can come hang out anytime (a lot like Mike & Lyndsey Ewing) & we knew we would want a big T.V. someday, so what better time to buy it than Black Friday at BrandsMart We got it for a really amazing deal  that wouldn't have come around for another year.  Now that we have this for our living room, my T.V. from school is going to get donated to Anthony's man cave, which I know he's really happy about :)  Let me just say though, getting that thing out of the back seat of Anthony's truck just me & him was seriously difficult & painful, then we had to carry it up the stairs & somehow shove it under my bed When I woke up on Saturday my arm was sore...I couldn't figure out why (at first I thought it was from carrying clothes & bags shopping, but there was no way).  Then I realized it was from this massive T.V.

Besides all of the more significant moments the past couple of weeks, we were able to have a lot of quality time over the break (we were both off from school & work Thursday-Sunday) which was well-needed & a luxury that doesn't happen often because I live 45 minutes away.  Can't wait to have so much us-time that we get sick of each other once we're married! :)

Other than all of that, here are some of the inspirations that I have seen around lately:

 

Burlap bouquet from My Sister's Place, an antique store in Loganville.  I thought this would be perfect for the rehearsal but I wasn't quite ready to go ahead & buy it.


Here is the feathery flower that I will be putting in my hair after I take off my veil at the reception.  We got it at Priscilla of Boston in Atlanta for 70% off a couple of weekends ago while looking for $111 rehearsal-dinner dresses (11-11-11 weekend sale) with no luck On the bright side, I bought my bridal jewelry this past weekend & am super excited about it (but will not be posting pictures because some things still have to be a surprise, right?! The only hint I'll give is that we got it at JC Penny for more than 50% off!)  Anyway, the hair piece was still kind of ridiculously priced, but I love it & I highly doubt we'll find one that looks this nice & is such good quality for the price we paid.  Speaking of 11-11-11...


This was my view at Party City while shopping for plates/cups/napkins for Chelsey & Alan's wedding.  Love all the teal/turquoise/aqua colors!  I can't wait to do a blog post on how special it was to help put together their wedding & witness the beginning of their marriage...just waiting for a few more pictures from my lovely partner in crime Mandie Sledge before writing! 


& lastly, speaking of Mandie, she sent me a picture of this sweet mug from Target because its colors are almost just right!  I may have to break down & buy this (along with that lovely burlap bouquet!)

Sorry for the long post, but I sure had a lot of catching up to do!!!  Be on the lookout for the post about the Merritt wedding, it will probably be my favorite one so far to write! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment