Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Planning Planner



For anyone who knows me fairly well, you know that my whole life is in my planner.  I always have one to keep up with my church commitments, social life, work schedule & school assignments...like the ones that I should probably be doing instead of writing this blog post.  If you know me well enough to know about my OCD with my agenda book, you also know that I am a master procrastinator, which is how I began making this particular little project.

When I first got engaged, a lady who had recently been married gave me a stack of wedding magazines at least a foot tall.  I think I counted once & there were 20-something magazines.  These things are not cheap, so I considered this a rare and extremely generous gift.  She told my mom that I could keep them & do whatever I please with them...dog-ear page corners, rip pages out, throw them away...whatever.  I began by tearing pages out of things that I liked & that I thought would like to see in our wedding

Well I suddenly noticed that abundance of engagement ring advertisements in these wedding magazines.  That struck me as odd because people who are planning weddings generally already have the diamond?  Whatever.  Anyway, I decided that these images were too beautiful to just let sit in a pile or throw away, so I ripped all of the pages out, convinced that I would use them for something in the future (the artist/pack-rat/teacher in me was screaming at me to save them). 

I ended up buying a planner specifically for wedding appointments, payment dates, & anything special about the planning process that I think I'll want to remember someday when I'm telling our kids about our wedding...this is another thing that I can check off that to-do list that I posted earlier.  I tried to get something cute that matched our colors, but the selection was really limited & I ended up purchasing this ugly green one.  One day around midnight, procrastinating on both schoolwork & sleeping, I finally came up with something to do with these pictures!  I collaged them onto the wedding planner, on the front & back covers, both inside & outside!  At that point, I still had some pictures left over, so I chose to glue them onto the calendars at the beginning of every month to leave myself special surprises inside :)  There's also images around the week & day that our wedding will take place! 

This late-night collage session has led to a huge inspiration for another DIY project that I want to be at our wedding...have I mentioned how special & handmade I want it to feel?!  For everyone that we are fortunate & blessed enough to share our special day with, we (I) can't wait for you to see this project  & be part of it!

Hopefully I'll be posing at least once a month (if not more), & I'll probably post a picture of that month's calendar in the wedding planner like the picture directly above the text in this post :)

Last quick thought...so random!  At church on Sunday our pastor (Rodney Hallwas wearing this fantastic turquoise button-up shirt & I asked him if I could take a picture of it because I like that for the blue I want for our wedding colors.  Everyone always asks me & I have such a hard time articulating exactly which hue I want it to be.  So I decided to take matters into my own hands & just get a photograph while I could!  Not sure I want it to be exactly this, but it's always good to have several choices Pretty sure he thought I was a little crazy but that's okay...sometimes I am :)


1 comment:

  1. You are def OCD like me! I still need to get you my book if I can find it :) great post!!

    ReplyDelete