Saturday, July 23, 2011

The First Hiccup

Well, it was a bit of a hectic week as far as planning goes.  On Sunday, we had our taste test with Beyond Details, which we truly are both excited about.  We planned every little detail of what the reception food should be like to a point where we were both extremely satisfied.  We got so much worked out along with an exact price for our catering, which I was relieved about because now I know what the budget should be looking like.  Also relieving was that we went ahead & signed a contract for that price.   

On Wednesday, I received an email from Jennifer at BD with our catering estimate (it gets into more specifics than the contract does).  Normally, I would just glance at something like this & reply back with a "thank you," but for some reason the thought crossed my mind when I got home that I should print it out & add it to our Wedding Planner book.  When I opened the file, I noticed something that was amiss.  Without getting too specific, we had discussed having 3 different appetizers passed around for our guests during picture-taking, but later decided that it would be too costly & decided to go a different route.  There were a couple of other small issues with the estimate's details also.  In total, this estimate was hundreds of dollars more than what we had agreed to just a few days prior. 

I emailed the woman immediately after I reviewed the estimate (Thursday) to attempt to correct the situation.  Basically, I told her everything that was incorrect & gave her the complete list of the way the estimate should have looked.  Without being rude, I was very specific & cordial about what Anthony & I wanted--which is how I think that situations like this should be handled.  There's no reason to get upset or rude over a mistake, but I don't want to be walked over either :)  Furthermore, I directed her to their copy of the contract that we signed on Sunday as well as the check that was written for proof of my claims. 

She got back to me first thing on Friday & was extremely apologetic, stating that she was new & our contact at the tasting, Todd, was out of the office.  I completely understood this, as even he admitted to not being able to read his own handwriting just a few days prior.  To help make up for things, she offered to remove the fee for one of the servers for the night, which was extremely generous. 
I realize that this won't be the first bump on the road to the altar, but I can only hope that they will all be this easy to handle & that the people will be as agreeable. I'm also hopeful that the stress won't get to me too much & I am able to keep my character in tact ;)

Up next on the to-do list is booking a bakery.  I'm really interested in Cecilia's in Athens.  They have amazing flavor & their designs have really impressed me (yes, I have already sketched out a design I have in mind!).  I called today & found out that they don't do tastings at their bakery, but you come in & get a card, take it to The Last Resort (which p.s. is my FAVORITE restaurant at UGA) & have a tasting there.  It makes sense because that means they don't have to make a several whole cakes for each potential client.  I'm excited to go & we're hoping to be able to do that the day that I move back to school.  That way, both of my parents, Anthony, me & maybe even Anthony's mom (since she is considering getting the groom's cake from the same bakery as mine) will be able to all go at once. & who knows, maybe we can even have lunch or dinner at TLR too... :)

Oh, we also went to Guven's today where Anthony got my ring to have it fixed.  There was a little piece on the inside that wasn't smoothed & they were able to fix it within 30 minutes while we ate lunch and browsed.  He also wanted to pick up some paperwork that went with the ring and look at wedding bands for himself.  One was already made to match my engagement ring, so today was all about what he wanted.  He found a couple of things he liked, so I have some ideas now. We're decided to shop around some more as the date gets closer! I can't wait to get him something awesome that he will wear for the rest of his life & something to say "thank you!" for his beautiful gift to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment